Piranha Plant - Super Smash / Ori Inspired controller (UNFINISHED / IN DEVELOPMENT)
Updated: Apr 16, 2020
I wanted to put my game development and game programming skills to the test development a 2D platformer that smooth and enjoyable to transverse.
Focusing on the big Cs of gameplay programming:
I will create:
- A camera system that dynamically moves and tracks the action no matter how fast the player is going.
- Intuitive and responsive controls.
- A character controller inspired by my favourite character in Super Smash Bros, Piranha Plant.
The Camera System:
I aim to create a camera system which:
- Follows the player smoothly.
- Has a base speed and acceleration when following the player.
- Catches up to the player if the player is moving too fast.
- Zooms out to camera all the action.
- Able to put limits on the Y-axis so the player can leave the screen.
The Control Scheme:
I aim to create:
- Simple intuitive controls
- Limit to mouse and keyboard.
The Character Controller:
- 2D Side-Scrolling basic movement
- Swing using neck
- Boost in air
- Limited movement whilst in air
The first thing I developed was the player swing.
The way I do this is shooting the head of the piranha plant at a location and building hinge joints at set intervals from the head to the player to create the neck (rope).
Using A and D to add force in either direction, the player can swing around the environment.
Separating the inputs and physics in the update and fixed update functions.
MORE COMING SOON
In the meantime: enjoy some early development videos.